Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Yet another UFO strategy...

I've tried a number of different strategies and resolutions and challenges to get my UFO's done and out of the drawers, bags, and boxes.

On Monday, I was listening to the January 6th APQ podcast on my iPod on the way home from a day of outreach.  In this episode, Pat Sloan interviewed Jennifer Keltner and she discussed the "48 Hour Challenge" issued to the staff of American Patchwork & Quilting last year.  In this challenge, they HAD to take an hour out of their work week every week to work on a quilting project, for a total of 48 hours over the year.

Okay, so .... follow me here... one thought led to another, and it occurred to me that I could fit an hour of quilting into my day (pretty much every weekday) before work.  Instead of surfing facebook and watching Dog the Bounty Hunter, I could spend one hour drinking my morning mug o' tea, listening to the local CBC morning show on the radio, and devote that hour to working on a UFO.

I also decided that I would only work on the UFO for ONE WEEK -- although I will carry over to the next day(s)/week(s) as long as I like, until it gets boring again.  And then switch to a different UFO the next week.

So, I started with the top of the pile with "A Grateful Heart". No sense in over-thinking this.  I had about 1/4 of the blocks pieced, and a stack of FQs set aside to do the rest. I'm not sure exactly why I lost interest in this project.  Tuesday morning I made this block:


Today I made three 4" Economy blocks, and some HSTs and flying geese.  Tomorrow I have another 12" block in the plans.

I started this sampler project about four years ago. It's from the Winter 09/10 issue of McCall's Quilting magazine.


Weekends generally get some more dedicated sewing time, and I will allow myself to do whatever I want - - recently I've been enamored with small sewing projects that I've seen on Pinterest, but I'm not sticking to any hard rules for the weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Good strategy! Love your block...the mauve is perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to stitch in the morning, but I have to be out the door by 6:15 - 6:30AM. However, I do try to stick to the rule of some stitching each night while watching TV with DH. I do a lot of stitching on the weekends - especially early in the morning with a cup of coffee! Good luck with your new strategy - I hope you develop a new habit!

    ReplyDelete