Saturday, January 3, 2015

Another Pinterest pin - - NAILED! (but not in a good way)

Ah...the best laid plans...etc., etc.

Being a new-comer to the K-W area, I depend on the GPS on my phone to get me EVERYWHERE.  (I suspect the most seasoned native armed with a map and a compass would be unable to navigate themselves across this town - - but I'm naturally suspicious).  I saw this pin on Pinterest from "Positively Splendid" and thought, "AHA!  THIS is exactly what I need to attach to my dashboard to hold my phone when I'm wheeling around."

(photo from positivelysplendid.com)

AAAAAND here's the nighmare I made:


I had a number of problems with the construction of this THING.  First of all, the pattern calls for a layer of Peltex AND a layer of fusible fleece.  Not a problem, I happen to have both of these substances.  I should have stopped at this tell-tale instruction: "Note: The photos below do not show the fusible fleece backing on the back main body piece, since that was a later addition to the pattern." I can confidently say that the pattern was NOT tested after making additions to the pattern instructions.  Here is my evidence:

1.Trying to turn this thing inside-out was akin to pulling teeth.  Most of the seam on the top curve is hand sewn, because I had to keep ripping out more and more stitches to turn the piece.  Have you ever tried handsewing a curved edge that has fused fleece on one side and Peltex on the other?  Don't.

2.The material was too thick to close the grommet.  I had to cut the stitching out around the hole, and dig out some of the peltex and fleece.

3. The vaguely box shaped pleat at the bottom - too thick to be functional (i.e. no extra space was created within the pocket.

Okay...so the thing is done.  I can make use of it, right?

Nope - I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (a great phone!) - it's dimensions are: 151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3 mm (5.95 x 3.12 x 0.33 in).  In short?  It doesn't fit.

Back to the drawing board...



3 comments:

  1. . . . but at least you now know what NOT to do . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd rather make a full size quilt than a small potholder etc project. They take way too long for their value, and don't involve nearly enough fabric :)
    Can you pin it to the side of the bed for your glasses?
    thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete