Monday, October 31, 2011

I've got a confession...

I've been reading trash again. I've already confessed to my guiltiest pleasure -  an unwholesome attraction to trashy historical romance novels. 

I've now sunk to even lower depths.  I've stumbled upon a series by Lauren Willig, which mashes a good old bodice ripper with (gulp...dare I say it?) chick lit!

I can't 'do' chick lit - post-feminist fluff, with too many pages devoted to lighthearted chit-chat of lip gloss, fashion, shopping, cocktails and the self-depricating inner voice. But I'm hooked. 


The hook here is that a contemporary romance story is laid over the historical story, as grad student Eloise Kelly researches the League of the Pink Carnation among the private papers of the devastatingly handsome and rich Colin Selwick.  That love affair is yet to be requited, but each book has ended in the happily-ever-after marriage of another historical couple.

I've already read the first five in the series:

      The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (spring 1803)

      The Masque of the Black Tulip (spring/summer 1803)
      The Deception of the Emerald Ring (summer 1803)
      The Seduction of the Crimson Rose (autumn 1803)
      The Mischief of the Mistletoe (winter 1803)

...and after work tonight, Hubby and I walked over to the library and I picked up the next two books in the series.

1 comment:

  1. I will have to check them out. Not like I need another trashy novel to read, I am at least 600 behind on the bookshelf now. But like fabric with quilting, you can also never have too many books for rainy days. :D

    ReplyDelete