Sunday, June 16, 2013

Some Sunday Stash and Slow Sunday Stitching

Okay - there was some serious stash enhancement this week.  After all - there was a big sale on at The Greenwood Quiltery. I snuck in there on Tuesday, looking for a little linen, and left with a rather large bag.  But, I also found a great thrifty find on Friday!

I needed pink and green thread for my B.L,D towels, so my plan was to check a couple of thrift stores which are on the way to the Lens Mills store, and see if I could score some cheap thread. I had a coupon for 30% off thread that I printed from the Lens Mills website, so I was willing to go with "new" thread, but because I only needed a little, well....you know how cheap I am.

First stop was St. Vincent de Paul store.  Some quilter has made a significant donation here, because I've been scoring quilty stuff every time I visit.  This time was a brand new table runner kit.


You can see that the Copyright on the fabrics is 2013 - and all six of the fabrics are from a collection called "Neutral Love" from ConnectingThreads.com.  The kit is not on the website (I had to know what the retail price is!) but I still think I got a great deal for $5.

But no thread.  So next stop was the BFM, where I did find two sandwich baggies full of threads - pink AND green - and a 1/2 yard of a white on cream print - a neutral always finds a home in my stash, and a couple of hard cover quilting books. 

I was up at the crack of dawn this morning and immediately sat down with my morning coffee and some Slow Sunday Stitching.  I stitched the centre appliques in this Dear Jane block:
Linking to Kathy's Quilts

The stars are appliqued as two separate pieces.  Thank goodness for "That Quilt" or I'd never figure out how to have made this block.

Yesterday was a good Dear Jane day.  Here are two more blocks I finished:


I'm very happy with how Starburst came out. The points are as perfect as I am likely to ever get!


....which sort of makes up for Papa's Star.  I was dreading this block (likely why I left it to almost the very end)! At least two if not three of the star points are going to get snipped off when I add the sashing.  But it's good enough for me.

No big plans for Fathers Day here - we walked down to a neighbourhood restaurant this morning and treated Hubby to brunch.  Now we are ready for a nap. 

I did warn Itty Bitty that he was helping me baste a quilt today.  I've accomplished all of my goals for June (with the exception of the next two BOW's from Grandmother's Choice). So I'm gonna DO it!  I am going to finish a quilt!


11 comments:

  1. The kit looks very nice and so do the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all of your DJ blocks look fabulous. There is a reason they invented the saying, "finished is better than perfect".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really admire your Dear Jane blocks... they look beyond my confidence level!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Dear Jane blocks are wonderful! I admire anyone who attempts making one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Dear Jane blocks and sounds like you made a great score at the thrift store! Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You scored a great deal on that CT fabric!
    ENjoyed seeing your blocks...hope you had a wonderful stitchy Sunday!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. both of your Dear Jane blocks look fabulous! and that was certainly a great fabric find at the thrift shop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First visit for me, Nancy-Rose... And I am impressed! Thrifty and nifty! Love those great scores you made while shopping and those lovely blocks... Awesome!

    Lorna:)
    http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete