Thursday, April 22, 2010

Going to a Quilt Show!

I'm heading out this morning to St. Mary's to see the Huron Perth Quilters' Guild & Stonetowne Quilters' Guild show with a couple of quilty friends.  Just saw the list of vendors...whoooo hoooooooo!!!!!


I'll be looking for more black and white prints - - Gail and I have come up with a plan to expand my Black & White quilt to bed size.


I'be been working away at my Virginia Bound blocks.  I have 48 'sub'blocks completed, and another ten half-finished.  It's completely joyful sewing.  Mindless, zombie quilting.






I spent hours and hours outside yesterday, digging around in my dirt. There's a patch of garden between the church next door and the driveway we share with two other neighbours, which I had sort of "adopted" two years ago.  I got that piece all cleaned up, and then went next door to meet the new priest. Nice, nice lady. (Maybe I should mention it's an Anglican church?) I think they are from B.C. Her husband is a retired social worker (MSW), and her daughter is going to be going to the same university where I am to work on her prerequisites to get into the BSW program. We had a nice chat about the church, St. Thomas,  social work, and King's, etc.


She told me the church had sold the rectory (which is on the other side of street) so when I got a chance yesterday afternoon, I went over and introduced myself to one half of the new neighbours. I invited them to stop over for a cocktail on the deck sometime, and I hope he and his partner will accept my invitation.  They have been doing a fantastic amount of work outside, and the property is looking gorgeous.


Late in the afternoon, I sat in the sunshine on the back deck and read my book.



It was an Oprah Book Club choice from 1998 and it's really good!  I have had marginal success with Oprah choices - sometimes really good (A Map of the World, A Million Little Pieces, Fall on Your Knees) and really not so good (The Reader, Daughter of Forturne, The Measure of a Man).  It's written by Chris Bohjalian.

"On an icy winter night in an isolated house in rural Vermont, a seasoned midwife named Sibyl Danforth takes desperate measures to save a baby's life. She performs an emergency cesarean section on a mother she believes has died of a stroke. But what if Sibyl's patient wasn't dead—and Sybil inadvertently killed her? As Sibyl faces the antagonism of the law, the hostility of traditional doctors, and the accusations of her own conscience, Midwives engages, moves, and transfixes us as only the very best novels ever do."

Last night, I worked on another Baltimore/Folk Fusion (this is the name I've invented for these applique blocks) and had only five more little leaves to stitch down, and then popped the eye of my needle through the end of my finger.  I guess my quilting calous must have gotten thin in my hiatus from sewing!  It was too sore to put a thimble on last night and struggle through those last few stitches, but I bet I'll have a photo to share of my second block to share tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. That is a very intriguing book! I read it several years ago and enjoyed it. Very thought provoking!!

    ReplyDelete