Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Gotta be honest...

We crossed the border yesterday to do some back-to-school shopping with Itty-Bitty and his friend-that-is-a-girl.  We stopped for a late lunch at one of those all-you-can-eat buffets.

I was standing at the steam table, scooping brussels sprouts onto my plate, when a young man (around nine or ten, I would reckon) spoke up:

"You know something funny?  I've never tried them before," he said pointing into the tray of brussels sprouts.

I hesitated for a minute. If this child and I shared genetic material, my knee-jerk response would have been completely different. I would have insisted he put a couple on his plate, and give them a try.

But instead I suggested, "Really? If I were you, I'd skip 'em.  Most people hate them. Me?  I love brussels sprouts, but then, I'm a little weird."

He solemnly nodded his understanding, and whispered, "thanks".

Shopping is DONE though.  It was a simple process.  I handed him cash, and let the two of them run wild in the mall while Hubby and I strolled around.  I didn't buy anything, because I don't want to spend money on clothes while I'm still in the process of losing weight (down 16.2 lbs). Itty Bitty did pretty good - with the cash I gave him, he managed to buy 4 pairs of jeans, 4 or 5 shirts, binders & supplies, and new strings for his bass guitar.

2 comments:

  1. You never know . . . he might have actually liked brussels sprouts . . . LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love brussel sprouts, but my husband abhors them and has the kids convinced that they are the absolute worst food on earth. In fact, when they complain about what's for dinner, he always threatens them with brussel sprouts. Poor kids - they don't know what they are missing! (But more for me!)

    ReplyDelete