Saturday, August 14, 2010

...a weird week

While ordinarily I relish and revel in every opportunity to complain-- the longer and louder the better I always say! -- I hate to say this: it's been a weird week.

It has lasted exactly 14 hours.  That must be the truth of it, because I can't believe that a week has passed by so quickly. Where are the brakes on this crazy time machine?!?!?!?  I'm not ready for another school year yet!!!!

ughhhhhhh...four more weeks until I embark on the final year of my undergrad degree. Can you believe it?  Doesn't it seem like just yesterday I was just beginning my FIRST year??

Very unsettling.  And plain weird.

Anyhoooooo....Hubby and I went out yard sale-ing bright and early this morning, despite the fact that I was still wide-eyed at 3 in the morning reading a completely engrossing trashy novel. 



Born to rough cloth in working-class London in 1748, Mary Saunders hungers for linen and lace. Her lust for a shiny red ribbon leads her to a life of prostitution at a young age, where she encounters a freedom unknown to virtuous young women. But a dangerous misstep sends her fleeing to Monmouth and the refuge of the middle-class household of Mrs. Jones, to become the seamstress her mother always expected her to be and to live the ordinary life of an ordinary girl. Although Mary becomes a close confidante of Mrs. Jones, her desire for a better life leads her back to prostitution. She remains true only to the three rules she learned on the streets of London: Never give up your liberty; Clothes make the woman; Clothes are the greatest lie ever told. In the end, it is clothes, their splendor and their deception, that lead Mary to disaster.

Emma Donoghue's daring, sensually charged prose casts a new sheen on the squalor and glamour of eighteenth-century England. Accurate, masterfully written, and infused with themes that still bedevil us today, Slammerkin is historical fiction for all readers. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/emma-donoghue/slammerkin.htm


We didn't find too many treasures; I picked up four quilting books for 25¢ a piece: A Thimbleberries Housewarming, Santa's Coming by Art to Heart, Fat Quarters are Beautiful, and Finish It with Alex Anderson, plus a shirt that will be repurposed for 50¢.


All the excitement seemed to be at the Horton Street Market this morning!  We couldn't walk 10 feet without tripping over someone we knew, if indeed were not related to!  -- even both of our mothers!  I got some more peaches from the same farmer I bought from last week.  They were so deliciously sweet and juicy, Itty Bitty and I had to sit on the porch to eat because of the drippiness of them.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta LOVE those peaches that are SOOOO drippy that you have to sit on the porch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, time is going too quickly. I have this week off, and I hope it positively C-R-A-W-L-S by!

    ReplyDelete