Saturday, January 5, 2013

Thrifty Shopping


Hubby and I went thrifting this afternoon - not looking for anything in particular, but just an excuse to go out and grab a coffee.  I did pick up a couple of neat items though!

I found a Q-Snap floor frame at St. Vincent de Paul's for $5!
Currently it's in the bathtub, waiting for a scrub-a-dub, but I'm excited to try it!  I've wanted one of these for yeeears, but the price was always way beyond my pocket book.  

They also had a $1 sale going on - so I picked up 3 cutter shirts, and a vintage apron that has lots of good usable fabric in it. They are washed and hanging from the shower curtain rod to dry.

Next we were off to Bibles for Missions - where there was ANOTHER Q-snap floor frame, but this one was $30.  Seems everyone is getting rid of their quilt frames, because they also had a big wooden hoop on a stand, and a set of old fashioned frames.  But I did find a 11"x11" Q-snap frame with someone's UFO silk ribbon embroidery still in it for $2.  I can use this to quilt pillows maybe?  Q-snaps have been my favourite for cross-stitch and embroidery for years, because they don't mark the fabric, and you can tighten or loosen the fabric with just a twist.

Next stop was Goodwill.  I got a book for Itty Bitty (who has now returned to university), and two Thumbthings!  This was so exciting, because I had just seen Thumbthing on Pinterest this morning!


Next stop was Salvation Army.  Nothing too exciting there - a big book of embroidery patterns.  I've been thinking I'd like to do some redwork someday, and since books were all half-price, what the heck?

Back home for a short nap, and then I did two full bobbins worth of FMQ on School of Rock Quilt.  It took a while to get comfortable.  I had to slow down Lucy's speed until I got used to the motion.  I think I can probably get the quilting done in a couple of hours, but I ran out of black thread!!!  (sigh)  Oh well, my neck and shoulders were ready for quitting time anyway.


4 comments:

  1. thrifting FUN!! I love it and i JUST saw those thumb things too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh...I really envy you!
    Unfortunately we don't have that much of a thrifting culture here in Germany... It's mostly flea markets...but the weather outside keeps even the weatherproofest flea inside!

    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those thumbthings look like such a good idea and practical. How clever some people are with their inventions. I invested in some of those frames with a gift voucher for a quilt shop when I had a birthday with a 0 on the end. Another clever invention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like you had a very productive morning!

    ReplyDelete